Thursday, November 15, 2007

Slovene Sunday - Angelic Ice Cream

A cheery Slovenija story, as a matter of fact.

Once, during my first 4 or 5 months in the country, while I lived in Celje my companion Elder Jensen and I were walking down the street. I forget where we were going, but it was in the direction of our apartment, so I imagine we were going home for lunch or something. I remember the sky was overcast, so the light was making everything more vivid. He and I were walking a block north of our usual route, not past the theatre but on the street that would take us past the hospital instead.

When we were about 100 yards from the hospital entrance two people stepped out the doors and continued down the street ahead of us - a man and a woman, both dressed in white from head to toe and very obviously nurses or hospital staff. With the diffused light making the yellow brick of the hospital glow gold, the leaves of the trees look fluorescent green, and anything grey, black or blue melt together, the white of their uniforms shone brilliantly. I decided immediately that they were angels.

The angels walked about a half a block ahead of Elder Jensen and I. The woman was short and round with dark curls up on top of her head. She wore white tennis shoes. The man with her was taller than she by a good foot, and had dark hair also that fell across his forehead - I could see when he turned to talk to her. I told Elder Jensen that they were the Angels of the Celje Hospital. He, in the spirit of humoring me, agreed and said they they were two really strong personalities, and that they probably handled most of the crises in the hospital. Since no one else walking down the street seemed to notice them, look at them or whatnot, we began to believe they really were angels.

As we followed them down the street, we wondered what they were doing out of the hospital. They crossed the street far ahead of us, and we watched them go over to the red ice cream booth. As we drew neared, they pointed, ordered and paid for two ice cream cones. I smiled at the two angels who left the hospital to get ice cream cones. They turned to head back to the hospital, and I saw the lady angel going HAUM HAUM on her cone and the guy angel had ice cream on his upper lip. We dark-clad missionaries of God nodded to the light-clad emissaries of God, who nodded back while licking their lips. They returned to their business of guarding the hospital of Celje, and Elder Jensen and I decided we deserved a cone each, too. With Angleški Juha flavored ice cream.

No comments: